Saturday, August 23, 2014

Blog Post #1

I have heard good and bad things about EDM310. One person in particular told me “EDM310 will take up all your free time and you will hate it at the beginning but by the end of the semester you will actually have some fun.” Others, however, have told me that I will hate it and that it will be one of the worse classes I have to take. I choose to believe that even though right now I may be worried about the class, that by the end of the class I will have learned a lot that I can take with me into my future classroom and that I will have actually had some fun in the class. Before going into the class I was scared because I did not know what to expect. My main fear of this class is the unknown. I am not good with change and not knowing what to expect. This class is not like any other class I have taken and that alone scares me. Also, I have a fear with the grammar aspect. I know that might sound silly, but growing up I always struggled with grammar and spelling.  However, I always proofread my stuff and I always get someone else to as well, so I do not think it will be an issue, but it is still a fear of mine.

EDM310 is going to be a lot different than most of the classes I have taken so far in my college education. The main reason being that it is project based learning. As described in the EDM310 fall 2014 syllabus we will be required to do 16 projects and blog posts instead of tests and quizzes.I have had one other course that required us to do projects and that was Math for Elementary Teachers. However, unlike that class, this class will not be, as Dr. Strange says “a burp back class”, meaning that we will have to do the learning on our own with some help from him and the lab assistants when needed. Another way EDM310 is different than most classes I have taken is that most teachers, even in college, tend to treat us like we are still 5 years old. For example, they remind us when things are due, and if we forget to turn something in on time we can turn it in late for a few points off. In EDM310 we are to keep up when things are due and turn them in on time.  The most important and most exciting thing to me that makes this class so different is that we are using and learning different types of technology. I absolutely LOVE technology and learning new things I can do with it. No matter how well you know technology there is always something new you can learn about it. In this class we will be learning new ways to use technology and different ways to incorporate technology into the classroom. I know EDM310 is going to be a lot different than most classes I have taken in my college career but I am excited to get to learn in a new and different way!  

2 comments:

  1. Marie,
    You made some very good points that I also thought of for my post. The fact that this class has been intimidating the past week is something everyone has experienced, I think. The only way we will succeed in this course is if we give it 110%! Like you said, it is our responsibility to do our work and turn it in on time, no body else's. We are all adults now, and it is time to take full responsibility of our assignments.
    Another thing I wanted to point out to you are your concerns about the grammar and spelling requirements for the blog posts. I just wanted to say that maybe through this course and all the posts we will be doing will allow you to learn and improve your spelling and grammar knowledge. I sincerely hope you can do that, as I myself have some things I would like to improve through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are off to a great start! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete