Thursday, August 21, 2014

Practice Blog Post.

Outline
A. My name is Marie Howard and I grew up all around the world.
B. My interest include going to church,working with kids and hanging out with friends and family.
C. I am attending USA because my dad and my brother both attended at this school and I fell in love with the campus.
D. I have two older brothers, a sister in-law, a niece and nephew.
E. I want to be a teacher because I once had a teacher that inspired and encouraged me in ways no one else has done before, and I want to do the same for other children.
F. Being a teacher in the 21st century, you need to be able to incorporate technology and web based projects as well as teaching children the importance of being able to think on their own without technology.
G. I go on mission trips to Honduras and I absolutely love it there.

My name is Marie Howard and I was born in North Carolina, but shortly after I was born my family moved to Maryland. My family and I lived in Maryland until I was 3 years old. We then moved to Japan and lived there for another three years before retuning to Maryland. After living in Maryland for a total of about 8 years, we moved to Enterprise Alabama to be closer to family and we have been living in Enterprise ever since. I absolutely love children with all my heart and spend much of my time trying to be a positive influence in their lives. For example, I spend my summers going to different children's camps serving as a lifeguard or a counselor. I also help out at my church nursery and have taught various children's classes through my church. In addition, I go to Honduras on mission trips and work in a children's home filled with children that have come from bad backgrounds. My family is basically made up of "computer geeks". We love technology and computers. Growing up we were always talking about the new technology coming out and we were always working and playing around computers. My father works for IBM and he would bring home old computers for me and my brothers to try to get them working again. I decided to attend USA because my father graduated from here with a communications degree, and my brother just graduated last May with an IT networking degree from USA. When we came to help move my brother into his apartment in Mobile, I fell in love with the campus and knew this is where I wanted to attend my last two years of college. I have two brothers, the oldest is 26 and is the IT tech for the Enterprise Schools System. He is married and has two kids. My other brother is older than me as well and is 22. He just graduated with an IT networking and digital forensic degree and is currently looking for a job. My mother is the technology coordinator for an elementary school where I am from. My father works for IBM and travels around the country and world working with computers. I want to be a teacher because growing up I struggled a lot in school and I had a teacher who inspired and encourage me in a way that no one else had before. I want to be able to encourage and inspire students just as she did for me. I also would like to teach in schools in Honduras one day and make an impact in children's lives over there. Being a teacher in the 21st century means that you must be able to incorporate technology such as laptops, iPad/tablets and smart boards into your everyday life. However, you can not forget to teach students the importance of knowing how to do things on their own. Technology adds some good benefits to teaching and can help make what you are teaching more fun. However, the students need to learn to be able to do the basics on their own and not rely on technology for everything. Teachers today need to find a good balance of using technology and social media in their classroom as well as still having the children do thing the "old fashion" way. The most important or interesting thing about me is that I have a love for the country of Honduras. I have lived in another country and I have visited many other countries throughout my life, but nothing compares to being in Honduras. I have gone on two mission trips there and both times I have left more of my heart there. If you ever ask me about my trips to Honduras I can talk about them for hours. I sponsor a little boy from the shelter that I work with there. His name is Victor and he is six years old and from the first time I met him I fell in love with him. Below is a picture of us together on my second trip to Honduras.

No comments:

Post a Comment